5.03.2012

2012 Spring Garden Progress Report #4

It's been a while since I've posted an update of the garden.  There's been a lot of growing going on!  Planting too.  In addition to what I've previously posted on, I've added squash and tomato starts to the garden and they've already tripled in size.  The tomatoes I started by seed are doing well, although they went through a pretty leggy stage until they adjusted to the outdoors.  Now they're becoming a deep, lush green and are already setting fruit.


As you can see in the next photo, the tomato starts in the pot are thriving and much greener and healthier in appearance than those in the grow bed though they all came from the same pack and were planted at the same time.  I did add bone meal and organic fertilizer to the pot and not the bed, so that could be the cause or it could be that the mulch keeps the roots warmer.  I'm really not certain.  

I used plastic mulch last year, but it was messy, hard to water around and created a habitat for slugs, so this year I chose to use coconut coir mulch.  It came in a condensed block and when I was ready to use it I just added water and voila!


Things are getting green in the grow bed!  I am dealing with an army of snails, so it's a constant battle to keep everything from being eaten overnight.  They mainly feast on the spinach, though they did mutilate my entire pot of baby cukes overnight.


The peas are in bloom!  Aren't the blossoms beautiful?



The carrots are growing slowly, but steadily.  They're all different sizes even though they're all neighbors.


These are the squash starts I bought.  They're getting huge already!  I know they are supposed to have four feet per plant but I put two in each pot, same as the tomatoes, and they did extremely well last year.


See the tiny buds?


Below are the bush beans.  Amazingly, the snails don't seem to like these as much as the thicker-leafed crops.  They're turning out rather well.


Below are the Kentucky Pole Beans.  I planted both bush and pole beans at the same time.  I'm anxious to see them grow up that 6' tower!


Lastly, here is my only herb in the garden: cilantro.  It's just getting its true leaves and smells divine!


That's it for the update!  I would love to hear about your garden in the comments and if you have any tips on eradicating snails and slugs, I'd especially love to hear them!

post signature

4 comments:

  1. I remember we had a snail problem when I was still under my parent's roof in our garden. At midnight I would hear crunching on the grass and found out my father was going out with a salt shaker to annihilate the snails and slugs… That does it for them but you need to go out at night and hope no one suspects you for a prowler :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes! I've tried salt around the grow bed, and it works great (I find the dead in their tracks in the morning), but I'm afraid it will leach into the soil and kill the plants. If all else fails though...

    Thank you for your insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh...I'm so jealous. I have just started my garden. Although I have some lettuce already being used in my salads. Those pesky slugs! Which part of the US are you growing in? Here in Utah, our frost date isn't until May 24th! I am so itching to get things in my garden! Come on over to my blog and visit to see what I'm up to. I just started a "What's Growing series". Oh and make sure you subscribe so that you can see my progress. I just subscribed to your blog also! Can't wait to see what's next! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen! I'm on the west coast. I can't believe how late your frost date is! Yikes! The good news is that some crops like peas and carrots like it cold, and mine went through several frosts without a problem. Thank you for subscribing! I'm heading to check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting An Original Belle and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you!