3.02.2012

Spring 2012 Seedling Progress Report

In-ground, in container, in a grow box or in a tray... it's the seedling way.  After slaving over the arduous planting of tiny carrot seeds and seeing nothing for weeks, I was sure the in-ground bed was infested with some sort of bug that preyed on little innocent seedlings.  However, this week has shown some signs of life after all.  Look at those cute little baby carrots coming up...


I don't care to dwell on the thought of the job I have ahead of me thinning them out.  They're planted pretty thickly.  I only recently received my widger (a long, narrow tool used for planting tiny seeds) in the mail so I was sure to utilize it in planting the carrot seeds in the raised bed.  They should be much more sparse. 

Those egg crate seedlings?  They're starting to pop up.  I wasn't sure they would due to the fact that they were two year old seeds, but there they are...



Those are onion seeds, by the way.  I haven't a clue what I'm going to do with them.  I have absolutely no success with onions.

Next up are the cucumbers seedlings.  They're almost too big to be called such anymore.  "Starts" is more fitting.  They've grown out of their baby cotyledon leaves and have several large, true leaves and even some tendrils starting to vine.  The starts were carefully extracted from their seedling tray, planted in warm, moist, fertilized soil and placed back in their favorite sunny window.  I gave them a couple weeks in their new environment out of the tray and am now introducing them to the real world... the outdoors.  An hour at first... they're working up to four hours outside a day now and handling it like the troupers they are.



I lost three of them during the transition from tray to starter pot, but I can't put my finger on why; they just wilted and rotted, so perhaps the soil was too wet.  Some of them are really growing strong and healthy, while some others are lagging a bit behind, more slowly, but still growing well enough.

Lastly, the tomatoes were also moved out of their climate-controlled dome and transplanted into pots.  They are reaaallly slow growers.  Really.  I get a bit frustrated looking at them, but when I think that they were just a seed about a month ago, I realize they're on schedule.  They are heirlooms, and heirlooms do take longer.

Have you ever heard of tickling tomatoes?  Supposedly, if you gently brush your finger on their tender crowns once a day, it strengthens and prepares them for the wind they will encounter when moved outdoors.

You can see in the photo below that one is doing quite well and the other not so well.  There are four others that are doing fairly well.


Carrots, spinach, and peas have been planted in the raised garden bed.  It was so much easier to plant in a raised bed just ten inches off the ground rather than in-ground.  It doesn't sound like it would make much of a difference, but take it from an individual with very little strength and energy to work with- it does!

So... how is your garden growing?  I've love to hear about it!

post signature

6 comments:

  1. Oh your photos are just beyond stunning!! I mean, truly you have so much talent and it is so fun to see the progress of your seedlings. :-) Thanks so much for sharing this at Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking great! Fresh little sprouts are so adorable, and your shots are great too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty!!! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!

    My name is Rosi and you probably already know this, but your site is amazing and very beautiful and inspiring! I will definitely be following and cannot wait to see what else you post!

    Love and Blessings,
    -Rosi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosi- thank you for such a sweet compliment! I appreciate the follow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your pics...never heard of tickling tomatoes!
    Ps. Love the new blog look above

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting An Original Belle and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you!