2.17.2012

Eggshell Seed Starter

If using a fancy seed starter isn't your thing, there's been much success with using items found around the kitchen.  That egg crate in your fridge full of shell halves?  Makes a perfect seed starting tray, complete with little bio-degradable "pots!"  


When you have consumed a crate of eggs, save the crate and the shells for your spring seeds!  Before you fill with soil, poke or chip a small hole in the bottom of each shell to allow excess water drainage.


Pick up a packet of seeds (those that should be started indoors), press a tiny strip of newspaper into the bottom of the shell to trap the soil, and gently fill with pre-moistened seed starting soil.  Drop your seeds into a one-fourth to one-half inch hole and gently cover, placing seed tray in a brightly lit window.


Some easy seeds to grow are beans, squash and peas.  Though beans prefer to be sown directly in the garden, they also grow well when started indoors.  Just be sure to wait until you have moderately warm temperatures.  Peas are quite hardy and can be grown during early spring.


I'm still waiting for my eggshell seedlings to pop their little heads out... more pictures when they do.  When it comes time to plant the seedlings outdoors, just pop the shells into the ground!  They'll decompose and add nutrients to your soil as they do!

Tip:
To keep from washing your seeds out or soaking your crate, try misting the tops of the soil at a close range to keep them moistened until seedlings emerge.

Make it fun:
If you have little ones that can be involved, dye the eggs beforehand so you have brightly-colored shells to make it exciting for little people too!

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Hi there! First of all let me just say that your blog is beautiful! I can't wait to look around more. :-) I love this idea and will definitely be going this route this year with our starts for our garden. Thank you so much for linking this up to Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, I wish I would have seen this post before I went out and bought all those peat pots... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanessa, thank you! I wish you much success in using this method!

    Heidi, I know how you feel. The good thing is that peat pots are deeper, which allows a stronger root growth for your seedlings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Friend! I feel like it's been a long time since I've come to read your blog, not just add a link to your party! This is such a great idea, I think I'll be saving a few egg cartons to try doing my own seed starters. The trick will be to find just the right spot for the seeds to flourish. Thanks for sharing! ~Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting An Original Belle and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you!