12.07.2011

Gifting or Giving

Sometimes gift-exchanges can be an awkward and insincere affair.  And sometimes you just know when it's going to be so.  If you know the people well enough you also know whether they are going to give from their heart, or from the recycled-gift bin.

Rolled Paper Rosettes
I'm no expert on gift-giving, but I believe there must be a special impulse prompting you when buying or making a gift in order to make it effectual.  Some call it the Christmas Spirit.  I call it Love.

For me, gift-buying is not about running from department store to department store on Christmas Eve, wresting other patrons as you reach the same item at the same time, frantic to buy something; anything to wrap up in a pretty package for the sake of simply doing your duty.  I have much better defined ideas of how Christmas Eve ought to be.

It isn't hectic, shopping fever that results in a well-purchased gift, if you do purchase them.  Homemade and hand-crafted gifts make awesome presents that show how much thought, time and effort you put into the occasion.

I, personally, can spend hours cooking up the perfect gift.  Just anything won't do.  And because I don't go out too often, I shop online from the comfort of home.  It's not about how much money you spend or save, it's about finding that special treasure that you know the recipient will love.  And that can be increasingly difficult today with today's commercialized products.

Rolled Paper Rosettes
I have one special person on my list that usually cries each year upon opening my gift.  In doing so, I know she is pleased.  And as horrible as it might sound, I endeavor to make her cry each year.  Why?  Because her reaction lets me know how much she appreciates the gift.

When shopping, ask yourself what reaction you want from so-and-so.  Does Great-Aunt Gertrude puddle up when she's happy?  Does Cousin Isabelle squeal with joy?  Does Grandma Susan give you that soft, special smile?

Gift-giving rule of thumb: do your homework.  Know the person you're giving to.  Know what she/he likes.  A mountain of gifts isn't necessary.  A mountain of ordinary gifts can't compare to just one special gift.

One special gift... given from the heart.

post signature

Kristy, from Little Natural Cottage has a "31 Days of Generosity" theme going on right now and Heather, Jacinda, Niki, Julie and I are joining her.  Won't you also join and link up below?

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Thanks SO much for linking to Pin'Inspirational Thursday's last week :))).. This is SO awesome.. I love it.. Hope you can come back this evening and link up again.. xoxox.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Marilyn! I've just linked up with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true... gifts can and should be meaningful. From the heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an awesome post , Heather.

    I'm kind of like you. I could spend hours making or deliberating what sort of gift to buy for someone. The reaction from someone who knows they're loved is so worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting An Original Belle and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you!