7.21.2011

"Waking up is Hard to do"

{In sing-song-y voice} "The best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup."

     Well, Folgers isn't in my cup.  And because I'm unable to partake of caffeinated beverages I substitute my morning cup o' jo with tea... chamomile to be exact.  And that doesn't wake me up.  So this morning, after a nice cup, I gave in to my brain-fog and went back to bed.  Three rough {but fun} days in a row finally caught up to me.  

     Mom and I have been enjoying a "staycation".  You've probably heard of those; the 'new' vacation that evolved during the financial crisis of 2007-2010.  The term has even been added to the Merriam-Webster dictionary.  

     We were intending to go on a vacation, but due to unforeseen circumstances, stayed home and visited places of interest close to home- day trips- as is part of a staycations recreation:  

  • The first day was participation is local festivities; our town's centennial celebration {the fireworks show was incredible!}  
  • The second day was shopping uptown in a ritzy and famous restaurant/shop/hotel.  
  • The third day was a trip to Solvang, an adorable little Dutch town flocked with tourists.  
  • This fourth day is utterly without any thoughts of a day trip, and caught me snoozing far past rising time.  
  
     But then, the other element- perhaps the most attractive element- to staycations is relaxation.  And that is purely what I have enjoyed today.
     
     Have you had a staycation recently?  What did you do?

    Musings by h. rae

4 comments:

  1. I haven't had a staycation recently, but I would love to! We live in a state that's new to us, so we could practically go anywhere and it would be an adventure.
    My favorite place that we've been to is sort of a "little norway" in Poulsbo WA. A viking filled, quirky little town that I love to just walk around in and pretend I'm overseas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a staycation every day . . .I want to relax, I go swing out on the hammock, or swing in one of my three swings, or go rocking in the rocking chair on the front porch. Oh my goodness, I sound like an old lady don't I? :)

    We've got one starting college next month. . .we'll have many stacations in the next 4 years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aside from one "real" vacation, our family ONLY has staycations!

    Six children..14, 9, 8, 6, 26 months and 11 months..ah yes, both the cost as well as the level of difficulty in finding appropriate lodging leaves us staying in our own home!

    Hope you had a lovely staycation, and that you catch up on your zzz's!

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I have heard the word staycations, but I am quite familiar with how they work. :)

    We recently took a staycation near the end of June. We were supposed to go out of town, but due to "complications," ended-up staying home, and taking a day trip, which was closer to where we lived. It wasn't too bad, but I really wanted the vacation, ha, ha! :)

    Anyway, thanks for the lovely email. As you can see, I'm back. :) Thanks for the clarification!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting An Original Belle and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you!