6.07.2011

Makin' Cherry Jam {Freezer Jam}

     After a busy morning helping a friend and neighbor make cherry jam, Mom decided to make another two batches here at home in addition to the two she whipped up days prior.  I took the opportunity to capture each step in living color so I could share it here with you.  

     I'm not big on jam, but I've been eating this homemade goodness on fresh-baked buttered biscuits.  Freezer jam is fairly simple, but if you haven't done it before, here are the steps:

     Things you'll need:
  • Several freshly washed jars w/lids
  • Bowl of freshly rinsed cherries
  • 4 cups of sugar
  • 1 box of SURE-JELL


h. rae photography

h. rae photography

   1.  Pit cherries, taking care not to get any pits in the bowl of pitted fruit

h. rae photography

2.  Blend/mash fruit to favored consistency

h. rae photography

3.  Measure 4 cups of sugar into separate bowl

h. rae photography

4.  Measure 2 cups blended/mashed fruit and pour into measured sugar

h. rae photography

h. rae photography

5.  Stir contents with large spoon until mixed well

h. rae photography

h. rae photography

6.  Follow directions on box of SURE-JELL, bringing to a boil

h. rae photography

7.  Pour SURE-JELL into sugar and fruit mixture, stirring for 3 minutes

h. rae photography

8.  Pour contents into clean jars and fasten lids tightly

h. rae photography

h. rae photography

h. rae photography

9.  Let jam set for 24 hours at room temperature.  Store in freezer until ready for use.  Enjoy!

h. rae photography
h. rae

6 comments:

  1. This looks so good! But I'm wondering why you put it in the freezer? Could you just put it in the refrigerator? I'm going to have to make some, it on a hot buttered bisquit just sounds so inviting! :)
    Thanks for posting how to make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin, it lasts much longer if frozen. Because it hasn't been cooked, it will likely last four weeks if only refrigerated. We keep a jar or two in the fridge and bring out more from the freezer as we need them. I hope you decide to make some! It's really simple and so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. h.rae! This looks fantastic! I have a major crush on freezer jam, it's so quick and so yummy, I usually do strawberry, but perhaps this year I'll give cherry a try too. And, yes, a hot biscuit is a must for freezer jam! Be sure you pop by my blog and enter your name for the giveaway, I'd love to put your name in the draw basket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow looks delicious! I always wanted to make a homemade jam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gammit...this looks so good! Yum! Where did you get the cherries? I wish we had a local pick-your-own for cherries. I may just have to make a batch of this with the cherries that are on sale this week for $1.99/lb. This looks so great! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, that looks delicious. Now I want to make some.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting An Original Belle and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you!