5.25.2011

Gardening: Vegetables 101

     It's where I'm at.

     It's what I need.

     It's what I last googled.  90% of my vegetable growing knowledge is gleaned from the internet.

     The other 10% is gleaned from hard experience.

     I know a few green thumbs, but my own is quickly turning brown.  Knowing which plants are cool weather and warm weather doesn't come naturally to me.  So research is my teacher.  And experience is my guide.

     What's in the ground:

  • Chantenay Carrots
  • Red Onions
  • Crookneck Squash
  • Blue Lake Bush Beans
  • Shallots
  
     What's in pots outdoors:

  • Champion Tomatoes
  • Brandywine Heirloom Tomatoes
  • Beefmaster Tomatoes
  • Quinault Strawberries
  • Coriander Cilantro
  
     What are seedlings:

  • Celebrity Hybrid Tomatoes
  • Heirloom Manitoba Tomatoes
  • Heirloom Glacier Tomatoes
  • Blue Lake Bush Beans


Image by h. rae

Image by h. rae

Image by h. rae

Image by h. rae

Image by h. rae

Image by h. rae

Image by h. rae

     One rule of thumb (whether green or brown) I find handy is this:  If you are growing it for the fruit or the root, plant in full sun.  If otherwise, (leaves, stems, etc.) it can stand a bit of shade.

     And, would you believe it?... 90% are doing fairly well.

     {Update 5/26/11: Less than the above percentage are surviving central coast weather.  Onions are now stunted due to lack of sun.  Squash and onions have been transplanted into containers and grow bags.}

h. rae     

2 comments:

  1. H. Rae,

    Looks like you have been busy doing some spring planting. I'm not much of a "green thumb" either, but then again, I'm not much of a garden person, although I do like to tend to a few plants and flowers on occasion.

    I enjoyed your pictures as well. Very nice. :)

    -L. Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff! Glad most are doing great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting An Original Belle and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you!