5.09.2011

Garden Bliss: The Serenity Prayer


"God, grant me the serenity 
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as {You} did, this sinful world,
as it is, not as I would have it;

Trusting that {You} will make all things right
if I surrender to {Your} Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with {You}
Forever in the next.

Amen."
h. rae

4 comments:

  1. Such a great poem; especially appreciate the first verse.

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. H. Rae,

    I enjoyed reading this poem.

    I liked the picture too. I wonder what if would be like to sit on a swing that's attached to a tree, while wearing a long flowing dress! :)

    -L. Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful prayer isn't it.. one I keep close to my heart for stressful times. Did you know it was written by a theologian named Reinhold Niebuhr sometime in the late 1930's? Love the swing...reminds me of Robert Louis Stevenson's poem 'The Swing' I remember reciting it at the top of my lungs while I did 'try to go over the garden wall' lol! Still love swings today! Thanks for bringing a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that prayer. I think I should tattoo it on my arm. OKAY, maybe not on my arm, but maybe I should paint it on my wall. Or write it in marker on my mirror.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting An Original Belle and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you!