4.22.2011

The Wardrobe Analysis



"If most of us are ashamed of shabby clothes and shoddy furniture, let us be more ashamed of shabby ideas and shoddy philosophies... it would be a sad situation is the wrapper were better than the meat wrapped inside it."
~Albert Einstein

     I used to hate shopping.  Mom and my sister loved it and as the youngest, I was naturally dragged along.  Most people were astonished that I could despise it so.  "A girl?  Hate shopping?  It's just not normal."  But I've met a few besides myself that can take it or leave it.

     Nowadays, I enjoy it.  I enjoy shopping for clothes or for the home.  My closet is testimony to that fact.  Forever 21 has much of my spending money.  My closet is home to lovely, lacy things, cozy sweaters, and many skirts.  A jean skirt is my "blank canvas" most of the time, with a number of layers paired with it and my trusty riding boots on my feet.  



     I love how the quote above keeps fashion in its proper perspective.  If it's what is most important to us, we're sorely lacking in what's really important.  It's true that what we wear influences how we act.

"A man cannot dress, but his ideas get cloath'd at the same time."
~Laurence Sterne

     It is also true that we ought to know ourselves before we choose the clothes we wear.

"Know, first, who you are; and then adorn yourself accordingly."
~Epictetus

     If we adorn ourselves one way, we cannot pretend to be another.  In my style, I couldn't be completely considered a city girl, but not totally country either.  And that's me.  I'm a bit of both.  I pair lace and denim, a jean skirt with a fancy 'do.  A walking contradiction?  Perhaps.  But it's me.  And I'm happy to be so.

"High heels were invented by a woman who had been kissed on the forehead."
~Christopher Morley


h. rae

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post, with very important quotes to be reminded of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quotes! Great observation on clothing. Happy Easter to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting An Original Belle and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you!