4.27.2011

Therapeutic Knowledge From Vintage Resources

Image via Flickr

"I suppose every old scholar has had the experience of reading something in a book which was significant to him, but which he could never find again.  Sure he is that he read it there, but no one else ever read it, nor can he find it again, though he buy the book and ransack every page."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

     I've done the above more times than I can count.  With a book, or research... I knew I found something wonderful that spoke to me in the moment, but am unable to find it again.

     Quotes are something I turn to when I need inspiration, guidance, amusement, direction, balance... some are nothings and I treat them as such, but others bring my focus back and ground me when I most need it.  The older the quote, the better it has a chance of being approved by me.  When I read old books, there are some sentences that just pop... the perfect quote at the perfect time.  Modern books are so fragmented that the philosophies are lost.  I love feeling as if I'm getting a college education just by cracking open a book... a novel of old.  Quotes by Jane Austen are some of my favorite.

     My most utilized resource for finding quotes online is the Quote Garden.  So many subjects to search under.  The more vintage the subject, the better I like it.  Think of Shakespeare.  Most of us don't know his writings; only what has been said so many times that it is now recognized as a quotation.  But they did come from a story.  Sometimes as I write my own stories, a quotation- my own- fills the page.  The difference between another sentence on a page and a quotation is that the quotation can stand alone.  It needs no story support for understanding.

     On the other hand, cliches, and some quotations are overused, retarding the brain's ability to form its own opinion and resulting in fragmented thoughts and short or acronym-filled sentences, which is another reason to read vintage books; the words dance and flow from the writers mind, creating elegantly formed paragraphs and structured sentences extending beyond just five to ten words. 

     To others, it may be difficult, too antiquated or not worth the effort.  To me, it's therapy.

h. rae

5 comments:

  1. I feel challenged to read an old book;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. H. Rae,

    I could truly relate to Mr. Emerson's dilemma about finding something in a book, but never being able to find it again. It's quite an annoying experience!

    I don't own many "old" books, but I am sure they are quite valuable in information, since the way people behaved and thought were quite different than in modern times. Some of the information from older books can still be applied today's generation as well.

    I enjoyed reading your literary post today. :)

    -L. Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy: Not challenged. *smile* Perhaps inspired, though?

    Lady Rose: Very true! I've ever-broadening my own collection of vintage treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I SO relate! That's why I bought a journal a couple of years ago, and when a sentence "pops" out at me, or see a quote that I love, I write it down in my journal.
    I also enjoy old books, but I have to be truthful and say I use them mostly for decor around the house. Maybe I should go get one and actually read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That has happened to me too! I am trying to get back to the classics with my kiddos. Hopefully they will get a better education than I did!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting An Original Belle and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you!