4.21.2011

"Oh, for a Book and a Shady Nook"

Image via queen of constance

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." 
~Mark Twain

     My closet stretches from one wall to another, three oversized doors hiding my wardrobe.  At the top, a long shelf runs across the span of the closet, providing a perfect out-of-sight bookshelf.  That was probably one of the first things I noticed when we moved here... besides the spider in the bathtub... my bathtub.

     That shelf is popping with books, fairly groaning under its cumbersome burden.  Some I've preserved from my childhood, some I just couldn't resist, some that almost audibly called my name (seriously) and others that have been passed down to me.  The shelf, big though it is, couldn't hold all of my books.  My closet is tiered, so another shelf lies beneath the first row of clothes... also stacked upwards with books.  Holds more that way.  Some are in the attic, some are in another cabinet.  I got rid of many before we even moved.

     I love books.  I love the smell, the feel, the sound of them.  When I meet someone new I shake their hand; when I meet a book I press my nose into its middle.  Glossy pages lure me.  Old, yellow-tinges pages enchant me.

  A list of my favorite pre-twentieth century authors are:

1. Edward Payson Roe/E. P. Roe.  
If you ever want to know what a real woman is inside and out- from a man's POV, read just one of his novels.  They are astoundingly perceptive!  My blog title is also the title of one of his books.  Find them here.

2. Jane Austen.  
You knew she'd be here.  Movies won't do.  Only her books, unabridged, are suitable.  They broaden the mind and enflame the heart.

3. Charlotte Brontë.  
Though I have yet to read one of her or her sisters' books, I have heard some narrated versions that give me just a taste enough to want to read them.  Reading is always so much more educating and fulfilling.


"Let books be your dining table,
And you shall be full of delights.
Let them be your mattress,
And you shall sleep restful nights."
~Author unknown


  A list of my favorite historical romance authors:

She has a perception of relationships that puts her head and shoulders above most other romance authors.  Her research is always stunning; her books captivating and amusing.

Though she writes biographies of people who were in the shadows during their lifetime such as Jane Austen, Nannerl Mozart, Martha Washington and Elizabeth Barret, to name a few, she has such a way of story-telling that keeps the reader until the finish.  Love her way with words and her understanding of what made these women tick.  I empathized with Elizabeth so much.

A fun fiction writer.  She weaves a compelling story most of the time.  Letter Perfect was my favorite.

She writes an amusing tale if you like this kind of silly romance nonsense mixed with a healthy dose of danger and suspense.

Sure to tickle the funny bone with her western novels, also with a bit of mystery and intrigue.

     I have recently started reading these books again.  They give my mind a place to go when my body must stay in place.  And they're easy to read, unlike the pre-twentieth century authors.  After reading such genuine, good-for-the-soul-and-mind novels actually written in that time, it's hard to go back to anything written today.  They seem so fake and shallow.  But I'm trying... ☺

     So many books to read, so little time.  Be sure to post your favorite author(s) in the comments section... I may find some new ones by your recommendations.

"I find television to be very educating.  Every time somebody turns on the set, I go in the other room and read a book."
~Groucho Marx


h. rae

5 comments:

  1. Ah, it relaxes me just reading about reading!

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to bookmark this post! I am also a lover of literature, and I'm not familiar with some of your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing like reading a good book! Makes my heart happy :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree, the movies just can't quite capture Miss Austen appropriately...somethings are meant to be written in eloquent words, not watched in a stuffy theater!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the reminder to read more often....it is restful respite for the mind & soul....my favorite book is by author: Charlotte Hubbard 'Patchwork Family'(christian theme/adoption-west). Appreciate you, augustana

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting An Original Belle and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you!