4.04.2011

A 1909 Postcard Mystery Part 1

     This week, I thought I would embark upon a special theme since April is National Letter Writing Month.  I'm going to begin a "postcard mystery" series of five parts.  Here's why:

     Some time ago, I was rummaging through old postcards in an antique store and came across several that were all addressed to a certain young lady, a Miss Kathrine Brack.  I was thrilled by my find and scoured the racks for more belonging to Miss Brack.  Nine postcards in all I found, dating back to 1909, and there I stood attempting to decipher the crude manuscript written over a century ago, elated by my vintage treasure.  I bought them all, took them home and thoroughly studied each one.

     Because of the antiquity of (regular) letter-writing and the sending of postcards, this week I will post the love story of one Miss Kathrine Brack.  It's not much.  The script and intellect of the writer is simple and inelegant, but I was charmed nonetheless, by this sweet treasure harbored by a belle of her own kind... an original belle, to be sure.  The glimpses are but brief views into darkened windows, surveying the lives of three individuals born in the late 1800's.

     The postcards were, perhaps, kept within the family until the time they were turned in to an antique store, sold as mere remnants of a charmed past, marked down due to the crude scrawl on the backs of each.  The writer of the postcards must have had special meaning to Miss Brack for them to have been preserved a lifetime and then handed down to her children and her children's children, probably with a fascinating story binding them together.

    Whatever the story was, it is mostly lost to us now, with only these nine sweet notes as evidence of a century old correspondence.  So, without further ado, here is the first postcard dated January 1909 (I didn't edit any misspellings but I did add punctuation in parentheses for clarification):

{Click to enlarge}




The back of the postcard reads:

Miss Katherine Brack
Otis, Kans.

"Hellow(.) I recieved 
your cards(.)  say
 those cards are
 all O.K.  I can't
 get any good cards
 out here(.)  I got this
 one here.  Can you
 say that true
 as it says on the
 other side(?)  Bye Bye
R,F,D,no,1,#,42

Answer soon
J.H."

The front of the postcard reads:

"Spooners Delight"
Look into my eyes and say to me true,
 "I never loved anyone else like you."
Copyright 1908 by J. Thomas

     J. H. (Jesse Hergert) resided in Pond Creek, Oklahoma .  The "code" at the end of his text is Miss Brack's address.  Apparently the postcard was a cheap one, but I think it's darling.  The stamp is a 1 cent Franklin.

{P. S.- I have stumbled upon some very interesting facts relating to these postcards so I have changed the title of the series to "a 1909 postcard mystery."  I am hoping to soon learn more so stay tuned!}

h. rae

11 comments:

  1. I'm such a sucker for a bit of a romantic mystery. Though the note is crude, the thought is sweet, certainly something to treasure. By the way, I gave you a little shout out in my post today, I hope you don't mind. Looking forward to part 2 of your postcard romance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I guess I am really sentimental. Can't wait to read the rest of the postcards with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello h.rae

    I can't wait to read the rest of it.. you do have me hooked. Romance and vintage.. two of my favourite things. I wish we could know if their story had a happy ending. Looking forward to more.

    Love & Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. H. Rae,

    How did you ever find these delightful treasures? I think that reading these old postcards will be fun as well as interesting. I'm glad that you started this postcard series. :)

    -LR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello h.rae, thanks for visiting my blog thus allowing me to find yours. It's is indeed an eye candy. It ended up on my blogroll in matter of seconds. ♥ A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it too! I am also very sentimental and love things old. One of my blessings listed today was receiving a hand-written letter from my mother:) It will go into the hat box with the other hand-written letters and cards from people. It's becoming a rare thing. My children will think they are antiques!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen,

    Thanks so much for the shout out! I appreciate the link-love.

    Tammy,

    I often wonder at my own sentimentality. It can be ridiculous at times. But I wouldn't trade it. I get so much pleasure out of little things this way.

    Lisa Maria,

    Romance and vintage is me all over. The postcards do reveal the end of the story, so Thursday or Friday it'll be known.

    Lady Rose,

    I really don't know how I happened upon them, but it was such a thrill for me. Like the time I found the exact vintage purse I wanted priced within my budget.

    Kristin,

    It is a rare thing! I too, have special places for my cards and letters. I wish there were more letters though... there's something about stationery...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the visit to my blog and becoming a follwer :0)
    I look forward to reading your future postcard posts!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely old postcards! So sweet - look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adrienne,

    Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

    Kim,

    Thank you for becoming a follower! This postcard series is destined to be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. He's about as romantic as my hubby! LOL! Some men are just not flowery with their words. Very cool postcards. What a find!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting An Original Belle and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you!