4.06.2011

A 1909 Postcard Mystery Part 3

Postcard #4
{Click images to enlarge}





     Isn't the dress on the woman in the postcard divine?  So much feminine detail!  Feminine and modest.  And look at that parasol!  I would love to have an outfit like that to put on when I need that extra bit of elegance.  How about you?  Imagine such gorgeous attire being the norm...

The front of the postcard reads:

Every fellow has a SUNDAY girl,
Will you be my precious pearl?

The back reads (punctuation added in parentheses):

"Hellow S. H. how are
you(.) I am just fine(.)
I am still working
hard(.) you said you 
wished you was out
here(;) you would help
me, so do I, I wish
you was here(.) I would
enjoy it if you would
help me. Bye Bye S. H.

From your loving
S. H. J. H."

     The stamp has been peeled from this postcard, which is odd since every other one is simply a 1 cent Franklin.


Postcard #5



The back reads:

"Hellow I recieved 
your card and you
said you was so
lonely(.) well there is
no body knowes
how lonesome I am
and you asked me
if I cared about what
you told me about
J. O. no just so you don't quit me.
From your
S. H. J. H."

     I previously told you I was learning more about these postcards than meets the eye.  The truth is, I'm currently corresponding with an (almost) direct descendent of a certain party in the postcards.  I'm so excited!  We're working together to solve this mystery... because it is a mystery to him as well.  I'm sure it is obvious by now that the Jesse Hergert in these posts did not marry Miss Kathrine Brack (pronounced Brock).  In fact, Jesse Hergert is the great uncle of the person with whom I am corresponding.  Jesse's mother's name was Kathrine Brack.  Strange?  

     Jesse's great-nephew has informed me that Otis, Kansas was a small farm town with many Bracks living there and many married into the Hergert family.  He is under the impression that Jesse was perhaps on the trail of another Kathrine Brack.  At the time these postcards were written, in 1909, Jesse Hergert would have been twelve years of age having been born in 1897.  It's hard to believe he could have had thoughts of romance at such a tender age.  The only other logical conclusion would be that he was writing to his own mother, using her maiden name since she was widowed three years prior.  But why was he away from her?  After his father's death, could he have been sent away to work?  For working, he most certainly was.  But why the lover-like cards?

     Jesse's great-nephew has sent me a photo of his great-uncle.  I thought I would share it here.  He was certainly a handsome fellow.  This is the young man who writes the postcards:




     It's unlikely that there would have been two Jesse Hergerts in such a small town (one writing to and one residing in) which leads me to believe this Jesse Hergert is the one writing the postcards.  Yet something about his age doesn't make sense.  I am on the trail of another lead which may clear up some of the mystery... 

     Until tomorrow...

h. rae

10 comments:

  1. Questions, questions, questions! Strange indeed! I'm just not sure what to make of whatever kind of strange relationship this is...it's all so bizarre. Looking forward to tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi h. rae

    Very intriguing! Hope you get to the bottom of the mystery.

    I love vintage fashion myself.. though I do wonder if I could have coped with all those hoops and crinolines and corsets! Did you check out that hourglass figure? Did you know that a girl's waist averaged 16 inches, some less, in some periods in history? All the work of their corsets - poor things no wonder they had so many fainting spells ;-) Check out the scene in Gone With the Wind after Scarlett had her baby and was trying to get back her 'figure'.

    Love & Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful mystery! I love it! I just followed your blog..

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a bizarre mystery, but I'm working to get to the bottom of it.

    I love vintage fashion too! I think I could squeeze into that dress if I had a corset. :) But I'm no 16 inch. Don't think I'd care to be at the price it costs to become so. Have you ever tried to eat with a corset on? It's miserable and doesn't digest!

    Thank you, Rightthinker-Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just in awe of that dress...drool...

    My days of fitting in something like that are gone... :(

    Thank you so much for sharing this post, it is intriging and just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for stopping by, Mrs. Zwieg! Isn't the dress just lovely? I'm in awe of it too. What woman wouldn't be? Feel free to stop in anytime! I love newcomers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW...I LOVE this! Such a mystery! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the suspense!!

    That dress truly is lovely.

    So glad you're following this mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so neat! I love the pic of Jesse. Is he wearing overalls under that Jacket? Can't wait till the next post. Have you ever done anything like this before?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tammy,

    It does look something like overalls, doesn't it? So cute. No, I haven't done anything in this line before. I love researching though, but it looks as if my limited sources are dried up until Mr. Hergert is able to supply the real answers...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting An Original Belle and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you!