3.29.2011

The Modest Tongue

     The first form of modesty that comes to mind would be of the outward kind, which is the natural reflection of the inward self.  And that is usually where the emphasis is placed when it comes to modesty because of its unquestionable importance.  And I truly believe that what is within the heart will show itself outwardly sooner rather than later.  

     Sometimes I wonder, though, if I could have possibly been unwittingly mixed up with a batch of 1900's babies, fallen behind an incubator somewhere in heaven's hospital, only to be noticed and born 100 years too late (okay, maybe not), because some of the things that are openly discussed in mixed company cause me to blush for those who speak and aren't embarrassed for themselves enough to do so.  Women have come a long way, that much is true.

     But as independence and liberation from natural homemaking and motherhood came in, femininity just as quickly went out.  Femininity in dress, in conduct and in speech.  Those who still uphold to the old ways should be considered an endangered species.  Perhaps one of the greatest misfortunes of our liberation was the seeming death of feminine cognizance.

     You've probably seen, as well as I, someone who considers herself a Christian and dresses modestly, but as soon as she opens her mouth the enchantment is dispelled.  Harsh words briefly hidden behind a pretty smile.  The "hip" words.  The "cool" words.  Among others.  Or how about the generation that can't accept the fact that they're aging with grace, dignity... and wisdom?  Where did femininity go?  And why are women disillusioned into thinking that this kind of behavior and speech is attractive?

     Why do we think that dressing, looking, acting and speaking like men is empowerment?  On the contrary.  As soon as we step out of our natural, God-given role we lose our power and become just another "guy" (any other ladies enjoy being called a guy?).  

     I'm grateful for the training I've received, the role models I've had, and the love I have for true femininity in dress, heart, action and speech.  The tongue can give away a facade at the first "hello."

     Tell me I'm old-fashioned.  I've already admitted to that fact.  And in most cases, thankful for it.  Does anyone besides me even blush anymore?  (I've thought to google how to quell a blush...)

     As I see it,

"Unto the pure, all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their minds and conscious is defiled."  Titus 1:15

    Have a blushed blessed day!

h. rae

7 comments:

  1. Wow. What a powerful and poignant reminder. Thank you for that. Yep, I'll be your newest follower! Looking forward to getting to know you more shortly...I have a feeling I'll be commenting often! ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi h.rae, thank you for stopping by my blog and for following. We have quite a bit in common... I'm SO much a blusher too! You had me smiling because I have often thought I was born in the wrong time myself. You can read some more about me here http://shinebrightlyforjesus.blogspot.com/2011/02/and-award-goes-to.html (for some reason my links aren't working)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! Yay! I'm so happy to have you 'following' me. I've been searching for other old-fashioned ladies. Bless you for blogging. I'm part of a breed that is going extinct,like you say we're an endangered species.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said! There are many more aspects to modesty than just the way we dress. Certainly the words we speak and the subjets we discuss say volumes about us as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen,
    A big "thanks" to you! I look forward to getting to know you as well!

    Lisa Maria,
    It was my pleasure! Thanks for stopping by here and following me! We blushers have to stick together!

    Thandi,
    Your search is over. Old-fashioned is here! :) Thanks so much for following and commenting!

    Tracey,
    So true! I appreciate your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully said. All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you!
    I feel extremely uncomfortable hearing the debauched words spoken by others, which makes meeting people a very taxing activity for me. (I move frequently so part of my job is to get to know my neighbors) I pray to meet more wholesome women like you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kiley,

    Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate your sweet comment so much and hope you find MANY wholesome friends wherever you move.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting An Original Belle and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you!