3.09.2011

Food for Thought

“Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
Psalm 139:23

What flavors your thoughts?  Peace… joy… anxiety… fear?  Can one add their own ingredients to what has already been dished up?  What if I don’t like what’s been given me?

The more life bombards our lives and minds with these sins…

“…All unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness… envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, Without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful…” 
Romans 1:29-31

        …The more it is imperative that we make a conscious effort to fill our minds and flavor our thoughts with the virtues below:

“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”  Philippians 4:8

        Sometimes our ears, eyes, lives and environment are relentlessly assaulted with sin.  It’s in the newspaper, on the radio and television, on your computer’s homepage, and in the neighborhood.

        And when something happens that hits rather close to home, it’s shocking.  Our minds can’t help but dwell on it, working out the “why’s” and how’s.” 

        And doing so drags us down… spiritually, emotionally, mentally.

        That’s when we ought to give it up… give it over to God, put it in His capable hands, and dwell on the pure… the good… the sweet and precious things. 

They do exist

When I was younger, I entertained thoughts of starting a newspaper called “The Good News Paper.”  I wanted uplifting, edifying, and challenging news!  I was tired of hearing about the horrors that happened overnight, while the good things were simply passed over as if they were nothing. 

        What is it that causes us to mentally embrace the bad over the good, without even knowing we’re doing so?  

        We are commanded to think on higher, purer, more encouraging thoughts. 

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the LORD.”

“As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.”
Isaiah 55:8-9

       ... Thoughts that bring peace, comfort, joy, strength, love, honor, respect, trust, rest, hope and longevity!

        We have a choice... the ingredients are there for the taking...
        
        So… what flavors will you choose today?


h. rae 

5 comments:

  1. H. Rae,

    Without thinking sometimes, I can find myself dwelling on the negative things of life instead of the positive. But you are correct, we need to focus on the blessings the Lord has given us, as well as learn to cultivate the fruits of the spirit within our lives.

    -Lady Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this encouraging post. It is so true and well said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Lady Rose and Michelle, for your insightful comments. Making an effort to focus on how much is in our cup instead of how much is not, can benefit our productivity greatly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have found myself dwelling on the difficult things that are added to this recipe called life. the good and the bad are all by His hands and He knows far better than I what I need to grow closer to Him.
    I like the idea of a good news paper! Much needed in this world! ♥
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) I had to smile when I read this post. I thought of Matthew 24:14 right away: "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." That good news, the truths Jesus spoke of and the his disciples wrote about in the Bible, is being spread all over the world! If we keep focused on that good news and keep it in the forefront of our minds by meditating on it and being a part of that preaching work it helps to protect us from the badness of the world. It's not always easy but helps us run the race! (Hebrews 12:1)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting An Original Belle and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you!