3.31.2011

A Family Favorite: Apricot Nectar Cake

     This delectably moist sweet-on-the-inside tart-on-the-outside cake will have your family, kids and company asking for more.  My mother made this cake especially for me yesterday since I am integrating some wheat back into my diet and I was in heaven at the first mouth-watering bite (I won't say how many pieces I had).  The recipe is one my grandmother used to make especially when family arrived from out of town and it was always a great success.

     The glaze is out of this world!  And though the recipe uses apricot juice, I taste only lemony sweetness.  I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do!



Recipe for Cake:

1 Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
1 small box lemon jello
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup apricot nectar (canned)
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon extract

Recipe for Glaze:

1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons apricot nectar (canned)
2 cups powdered sugar

     Mix ingredients well and bake in a greased and floured bundt pan at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until cake is done.  When cool enough to do so (10 minutes), remove cake from pan and puncture with an ice pick.  Pour glaze over cake, wait until cool and serve.

     To visit my mother's blog and see the lovely image she created for the recipe click here.

h. rae

10 comments:

  1. H. Rae,

    Four eggs? Wow! I would say this cake is definately rich! I'm not a fan of apricots, but I am willing to give this cake a try, since you say it's so good.

    So, how many pieces of this cake did you say you had? :) Tee hee.

    -LR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to trying this..it sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, I'm NOT much of a baker but this looks simple enough.. :)) I'm certainly going to try it. I stumbled upon your blog while visiting Jen at (I can't stop Crafting) - awesome posts you've got. Lovely blog.. Hope you can stop by my blog sometime http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com - Ty & officially following you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious. I have a few events to go to and this will be a nice cake to take as my offering to the food table. Thank you for being so gracious as to share a family recipe with us all. Much appreciated, as I am always in the market for new (tried and true) recipes, to add to my cookbooks. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lady Rose,

    It definitely has a delicious flavor, and is very moist! Let me know if you do try it! Ummm... I had four slices in ONE day! But you didn't just read that. I don't know how I stay thin.

    Marilyn,

    I'm so glad you stopped by! I left a comment on your blog and am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. H. Rae,

    Hello again!

    I just wanted to let you know that I have opened-up a new blog, where I have decided to post my poetic creations. I am inviting you to follow this new blog. I hope to "see" you there. :)

    http://a-housewife-and-her-poetry.blogspot.com

    -LR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the invitation, Lady Rose! See you there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delightful! I love apricot everything and cake is my favorite dessert. I must give this a try ♥ Thanks for following my blog ~ I look forward to getting to know you:)
    Happy April, Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ladies,

    I do hope you try it! It's not fancy, but it's so tasty! Let me know if you do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have made this cake for years- but I have never put nectar in the glaze. I am making this version for Easter. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting An Original Belle and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you!