3.07.2011

"Comfort Zone" Contentment


    Feeling the pure, peaceful sensation of contentedness is a gift.  A beautiful, wonderful, God-given gift.  To be able to lie down at night and say “it is well with my soul” is a freedom so sweet.

“And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
Philippians 4:7

        But as sweet as it is, there is a time when contentment can leave our souls in peril.  There are times when we should not find contentment in our hearts.  

       Apathy can easily overshadow our spirits if we’re not careful, creating a deadly "spiritual comfort zone," and blinding us to the truth of our soul’s spiritual status.  If we’re not daily making an effort to draw closer to our Creator, and we feel at peace with ourselves at the end of the day, we are in peril.

        If I allow myself to ignore my conscience and lie down at night believing “it is well with my soul” when in truth it is not, I become desensitized to the gentle pricking in my spirit.  The more we shrug off that feeling, the less it will bother us, right?  Right.  And that is the danger.  If only it grew stronger the more we ignored it!

        But no, God only knocks on the doors of our hearts so long and so loud, and if there is no response, the knock will grow fainter and more distant until it is heard no more. 

        I pray that my soul may always be awakened, my eyes opened, my spirit activated within me that I may see the truth written within my heart, whether good or bad.  If there are diseased parts that require weeding, may I be aware of it so that I can deal with it while I have the chance; and at night, when I lie to my rest, may my spirit be content with good reason that I may smile and say “it is well with my soul.”


h. rae

2 comments:

  1. Loved this post. Some weeds popped out today when I was dealing with an extremely difficult child. I need to get back to praying on my knees! I need a real break through with this child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great reminder to judge our own souls and ask the Holy Spirit to help us know if there is sin that needs to be confessed. I, too, wish to have a heart that is sensitive to His leading.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting An Original Belle and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you!