10.22.2010

Knock, knock, who's there?

         I’m the type that must have my clothes in perfect harmony and my hair in perfect order before I feel prepared to meet the day.  Perhaps I was born sixty years too late, because when I say ‘perfect order’ I don’t mean wrapping it in a pony-tail or bun, but styling it in such a way that people stop me in the middle of Wal-Mart and ask me if I’m going to a wedding.  This truly can be embarrassing. 

          I have tried to be happy with simplicity, but it just doesn’t happen.  I can style my hair in less than fifteen minutes, so it isn’t the time factor I’m concerned about but the fact that the style of my hair makes all of me stand out in a crowd.  And for some inexplicable reason, I found this to be a bad thing. 

        So after many failed attempts toward simplicity I do what comes naturally and figure that God didn’t create me ‘simply.’

“I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made…”

          With the little energy I have these days I still try to fix my hair even though I don’t leave the house.  And of course, it’s never simple.  But it’s quick and does wonders for my outlook.

          Sometimes though, I just cannot find the strength and will go weeks with a ‘funny bun’ perched on the top of my head.  Definitely not pretty, and certainly not what one would consider ‘crowning glory.’  But during these times, I seem to see myself more clearly, as if the hairdo had obstructed the view of who I really was.  I see more of myself and less of my hair.  And I found out I’m not the only one.  There are others who also discovered true beauty even without hair. 

          Have you ever judged someone by their hair?  Have you seen someone who had the weirdest hairstyle- be it modern or old-fashioned, and instinctively judged their character by it?  Granted, it usually does indicate their true nature, but what more would we see if not for their hair?  How long before we made the assessment of character? 

     I once read a quote that went something like this:

 "It is passing judgment to look at someone and blindly assume their character.  But when once they have spoken- when the mouth reveals the heart- the judging has already been done."

          Does your hair also define who you are?  I know mine does, whether I like it to or not.  And the adjectives in mind are not ‘elegant’ or ‘beautiful.’  When I get certain stares from other women, I can only think ‘snob’ ‘eccentric’ and ‘uppity.’  This is why I tried to simplify.  And this is why I failed.  I can only be who I am and what I feel.  I cannot fit myself into the mold of others for the sake of pleasing all.  We are all different; all unique.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

-- Marianne Williamson

          So many people, young and old, really are intimidated by what is considered the ‘in’ thing, and fear variation from such, resulting in a mass of clones.  As for myself, I will be of my own mold and take the compliments with the stares.

h. rae

1 comment:

  1. You, H. Rae, are a very excellent writer. Is there a book in your future?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting An Original Belle and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you!